Friday, November 03, 2017

Happy Birthday Firu baYeker!



  


Had MAR Barker still been alive he would have turned 88 today. Although I never got the chance to game with him, I was fortunate to have enjoyed an email correspondence with Phil in the mid 90's, and interact with him on the old Blue Room site. His creation has provided my group and I countless hours of enjoyment over the years. There have been many RPG settings created over the years, but none have held my attention as thoroughly and for as lengthy a period as Tékumel. I remember the first time I was introduced to the setting. One of my closest friends in High School, Harvey, showed me the Sourcebook –Vol.1 in the hallway, in between classes, one autumn day in the mid 1980's. I been exploring the world ever since! Over the years my groups have survived the Stews of Jakalla, and fought in the underworlds of the same city, tramped over the Chaigari Protectorate, been taken as slaves, and feted as heroes. They have thwarted nefarious plots and have had comrades die in ancient caverns far below the world –alone. Tékumel has provided my group and I a little bit of everything, and has kept me coming back for more.
Recently I had the pleasure of being invited to play in an online game. Those of you who have spent any time online looking for, or at, gaming blogs have no doubt come across Ben L.'s Mazirian's Garden . A wondrous and truly inspired work, it led me to leave a comment for one of the entries, something I never do, with the exception of Chirine's blog that is. One thing led to another and I was invited by Ben to join the group. Yesterday was my first game and it was great time for me.  I can honestly say that I felt much of the same magic that I experience when gaming on Tékumel in Ben's game. The same majesty and sense of wonder is present, along with an otherworldliness that makes it easy to immerse oneself in the environment. Not surprisingly I brought in a Tsolyáni to the Dreamlands, the brave Bashán hiTankolel. A devoted follower of Mighty Chiténg, he is a Kuruthúni of the 8th Imperial Heavy Infantry, a member of the Red Mountain Clan, and a nephew of Shemék hiTankolel of Pecháni fame. His first session went well, and I look forward to the next game.       

No comments:

Post a Comment