Saturday, February 20, 2016

Background



I have long had a fascination with Tékumel, but especially with Pecháno. I don’t know what it is about this tiny nation that appeals to me; perhaps it’s their proximity to the dreaded Ssü, and the incessant conflict that this mandates. Maybe it’s because of all the nations on Tékumel they are the one nation that are truly caught between a “rock and a hard place”: Ssuyál to the north, and Salarvyá to the south, east, west... What ever the reason, not only have I been bitten by the Tékumel bug, but have also been smitten with Pecháni fever! 
About 20 years ago I was fortunate enough to share a brief correspondence with Professor Barker. As a purist I was adamant that my Pecháni adventures would be 100% authentic. I quickly became obsessed with creating an accurate image of this land, and just as quickly realised the futility of my vision. At the time the Blue Room was chugging along in all its glory and after posting a few long questions I was surprised at not only getting a reply from MAR Barker directly, but also privately via his university email. Even though he provided me with a lot of fodder for my game the one thing that I remember was that he told me that Pecháno was not really developed and that essentially I had quite a free rein to go where my imagination took me. Ultimately, as Phil said on numerous occasions to all who wanted to adventure on his world “your Tékumel is not my Tékumel.” Basically do what you want and make it your own. Well I did that, albeit with help from Phil, and this is what I came up with. The document that I created in 2002 for the benefit of my then players was developed from quite a few sources. Obviously I relied heavily on the Sourcebooks, both Volumes 1 and 2, and other articles published by Prof. Barker.  I also used the responses to the Blue Room messages, and my private correspondence with Phil. Here’s what I came up with.




Part 1.

A Brief Outline on Pecháno.                           

BACKGROUND                          


Ssángurrü: Pecháni village, north-east border
Pecháno is a land of plains, forested hills and mountains situated to the southeast of Tsolyánu. Salarvyá borders it to the south, west and east, and Ssuyál and Kilalámu form its northern border. Pecháno is not a big land, measuring some 1400 Tsán in length and 300 Tsán in width. The country is split in half by the Murúkh River, which is located approximately 150 Tsán west of Teshkóa and runs in a north-westerly direction. There are three main urban centres in Pecháno: Mechanéno, the capital, Ogréjja, and Teshkóa. These towns are not large when compared to the cities in the Five Empires; Mechanéno has a population between: 50,000 – 100,000 at the most, whereas Ogréjja and Teshkóa have between: 5,000 – 10,000 inhabitants. At the most Pecháno has about 3 million inhabitants. It is difficult to pin an exact number due to the unreliability of local censuses.

            Pecháno is one of the daughter states of the Engsvanyáli Empire. The Priest-kings split the region into two governorships: one based in Tsatsayágga, the other in Mechanéno. The southern one expanded, while the northern one remained small and limited, locked in eternal battle with the Ssü. There are indeed many similarities between Pecháno and Salarvyá, but the Pecháni are much more open, less greedy, and more harebrained and heroic. Pecháno is, of course, thoroughly oriented towards war, particularly against the Ssü, but also against the great leviathan of Salarvyá to the south. Pecháni children learn several types of fighting the moment they are able to walk. Heroism is highly valued and prowess is measured in terms of “kills”. The Pecháni seem harsh and taciturn to the more “refined” Tsolyáni, but they are essentially decent folk who practice the casual brutality of a feudal warrior society.
            Racially, the Pecháni are very similar to the Salarvyáni. Pecháni males average 1.68 metres (5½ ft) in height. Their complexions are sallow, almost a pale yellowish tan, and they are not as hirsute as the Salarvyáni, although they do have more body hair than the Tsolyáni. Pecháni males have thick wavy black hair, curly or kinky beards, and sickle shaped noses. Pecháni females tend to average about 1.57 metres (5 ft) in height; they are somewhat lighter in colouration than males and tend to be somewhat plump. Obesity is not uncommon in Pecháni females, especially after they have had their first child.







No comments:

Post a Comment